Thursday, 3 November 2005

(you are) nowhere

In music, I don't know if we should look forward or backwards.

In a night like this, when I just decided to forget about all my problems, doubts and plans (many of them involving low-cost airlines) I have had a nice conversation with a friend that made me realise that probably, what I'm looking for is closer than I may have thought. He asked me when everything started and that's always a difficult question to answer. I can vaguely say that in 1992 I listened to The Cure "Wish" album at a school friend's house -we listened to her sister's records when she was away- and that band, along with The Housemartins were my favourite back then. I still think "High" is a great song, and who doesn't like "Friday, I'm in love"? Who has not fallen in love on a Friday after school?. I could have said that I learnt the days of the week in English with that song...though it's not true.

At the same time of my story, he saved money for a while before going to Madrid, it was 24th October 1992. And he went to see his favourite band, the band that took his breath with their album "Nowhere" (released in October 1990). The whole experience was, as he would certainly say, bizarre. He got to see Andy Bell -oh yes, we like Andy- with his then-girlfriend Idha in the queue for the concert. The concert was really a small festival with Manic Street Preachers (still with Richey!), EMF and The Farm on the line-up. They played songs from both albums "Nowhere" and "Going Blank Again" -their only great albums afterall- and ended with "Drive Blind". It must have been great, those moments of your life that you will never forget. Even though the magic of the music came hand in hand with sinking friendships and people who didn't keep their promises -at that time, there was a fanzine called "Soy tan feliz, que me cortarĂ­a las venas", a brilliant name taken from "I'm so happy, I could slit my wrists", lyrics by the Scottish band, Close Lobsters. I am curious about the scene in Spain back then, and those fans trying to get records from the UK, now that we take the internet for granted. And you see your music heroes and you argue with people you care, and it's hard to know what is more important. I would like to have his original Ride vynil records, I probably don't know anyone who love them so much.

I first listened to Ride many years after that, I have to admit. Not without a lack of imprint on me and still today moving me as before, in the similar mood as the rest of so-called shoegaze bands (but that's another story, another post).

And there you have Andy playing in a band like Oasis, quite far from seagulls, polar bears and mouse traps; married to a Swedish, and spending his time between London and Sweden. Oh well, he is not stupid.

When did everything start for you?

No comments: